HELLO & WELCOME ♥

Sunday, January 29, 2012

checking out my backyard: aoshima, miyazaki


For nearly two and a half years, I've been living in Miyazaki prefecture in southwestern Japan. In a few months though, I'll be moving outside of the prefecture. I don't know where as of yet, but I will use the few remaining months to visit (or in most cases, re-visit) areas in Miyazaki. This past Saturday, I drove out to Aoshima, which literally translates to "blue (or green) island." It's an hour and a half drive east from where I live. I've been to Aoshima before, but that was two years ago! Can't believe it's been that long already, so I thought re-visiting the area was in order.




Aoshima is a very small island, which is connected to the mainland by a bridge. The island is surrounded by white sand that is littered with beach goers during the summer months. 



At low tide, the Oni no Sentakuita or devil's washboards can be seen. They are an extremely interesting, but natural formation of straightly alined rocks on the island. 



In the middle of the island, there is a shrine in which visitors can write messages on a wooden board and hang it in the shrine for luck.








2 comments:

  1. very beautiful scenery indeed, all the best with the impending move

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot! I'm really not looking forward to moving because, well, I hate moving. However, living in a different area will be a great change that I'm looking forward to!

    ReplyDelete